Wednesday, October 27, 2010

EOC Week 4: Advertising is Based on Happiness & Dissonance

As a teenager, what was your desire of need? It could’ve been a game system, the most popular piece of fashion, money, etc. Well, mines were a video game. When I was the age of 18, I always wanted this video game called Saints Row 2. I played the first version when I was at a friend’s house back when I was in high school. Even though it was relatively close to Grand Theft Auto, the whole concept of the game provoked me to get it. When I got the game, I was the happiest man on earth. I used to sit in front of the TV for hours and play the game like there was no tomorrow. It wasn’t your natural game. The challenges you had to face were highly challenging and the fact that you were flexible to about anything was phenomenal. Being able to play the game and beat it made one of the happiest experiences with gaming.

As well as happiness, I also had the times where dissonance came into the picture. I remember back when I wanted Pokémon cards because it seemed like it was the biggest thing to get into as a fourth grader. I begged my parents to allow me to purchase the cards and start a collection. It took them a century before I actually bribed them into buying the cards but they did. I was the happiest nine-year-old on the planet but I felt something was wrong. By the time I got the cards, everyone in my neighborhood stopped collecting them. I tried my hardest to keep my pride but that didn’t last very long. Everyone on my block kept calling me lame, a loser, stupid, and every other insult you can generate. Eventually, I didn’t want the cards anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment